'I don’t think inside the box. I don’t think outside the box either. I don’t even know where the box is.'
Edmonton ADHD Psychologist
Attention Deficit Disorder, commonly known as ADD or ADHD is characterized by a persistent pattern of inattention and/or hyperactivity-impulsivity that interferes with your day-to-day functioning. I often see with my clients that have ADHD, that their symptoms can have a negative impact on their work performance, and social relationships.
ADHD is often categorized into 3 types; Inattentive, Hyperactive/Impulsive and a Combined Inattentive/Hyperactive/Impulsive Type.
ADHD can affect both children and adults.
Here are some of the symptoms associated with ADHD:
- Poor Attention to Details
- Difficulty Sustaining Attention
- Difficulty Following Through on Instruction or Completing Work
- Poor Organizational Skills Including Time Management
- Difficulty Initiating Tasks
- Misplacing or Losing Items
- Being Easily Distracted
- Forgetting Appointments and Tasks
- Being Fidgety or Restless
- Talking Excessively
- Difficulty Waiting Their Turn
- High Energy Levels
Treatment regarding ADHD involves us first identifying the impact your symptoms are having on your life by doing an ADHD assessment. The key for counselling is to work on teaching you skills and strategies around improving structure, and routine into your daily life so that your symptoms become increasingly more manageable.